The Weather is Turning

Day 119: The weather is turning


Today I could hear the rain on the deck. I’m kind of afraid to go out and look at the weather, since I know it has turned.


Date: 9/7/2018
Departure: Bamfield Cove GPS 48 49.6527 N 125 08.6491 W
Destination: Port San Juan GPS 48 55.3185 N 125 32.3309 W
Hour meter: 1618 (Klemtu)
Todays Distance: 50 miles
Total mile: 3114


I could hear someone in the galley. I’m guessing it is Rod, heating some water. I really don’t want to get out of bed since I know the weather has turned. I could hear the rain drops coming down on the aft deck, while I was snug in my bunk.   Since I am wide awake I rollover in my bunk, grab my computer and bring my journal up to date. I eventually finish writing and get out of bed, it is 0733.


Rod and I listen to the weather. We find out that the wind is from the southeast today, but will not be very strong. Tomorrow is the day it is going to blow up to 30 from the Southeast, so we decide to move on down to Port San Juan. Neither Rod or I had ever stopped there, so we decide Port San Juan would be a good run, so we could check it out for future reference.


As we head out of Bamfield there are a lot of sport fishing boats fishing just outside the entrance. We slow down and drop our lines in the water. We motor slowly out to Cape Beale, while I cook breakfast. Today it will be cinnamon rolls and hash browns. . Once we get to the Cape I reel in the fishing lines and roll out the jib, and turn off the motor. We are sailing into it, heading for California, and doing around 6 knots.   The further we go out the wind gets lighter.


Eventually we have sailed almost 10 miles out, we tack and start sailing back toward Vancouver Island.   By now we are doing around 4 knots, and the GPS says we are going to get to Port San Juan after dark. We start motor sailing. With the motor going and the jib rolled out we are doing 8 knots.


Once we can see Vancouver Island we roll in the jib and motor the rest of the way up toward Port San Juan. It rains on and off as we motor in the straits of Juan De Fuca. Sometimes the rain really comes down. It is raining so much that it is coming in the cockpit through the little holes in the canvas Bimini cover. We have to move the cushion on the rainy side down below so it didn’t get wet.


Eventually I turn the helm over to Frank and go down below to make another loaf of French bread. The last loaf was so good why not make another one.   By the time the French Bread comes out of the oven it is almost 1700. Since the oven is hot, I make pizza for dinner. We have pepperoni, mushroom, hot sausage, onion, and orange pepper pizza, with string cheese on the top.  While the pizza is cooking I give everyone a couple of slices of warm French bread with butter on top. The pizza comes out of the oven about the time we get to Port San Juan. I slow the boat down, so we can have the pizza before getting into port, and while it is still hot.


At Port San Juan there is a private marina on the southeast side of the port. We pull into an empty slip at the end of the dock.   Once docked, I run up the dock to look for the harbormaster.   I don’t find the harbor master, but I do find their office. I also find out it will cost over $77 for moorage. That is more than I’d like to spend, so I think I will go out and anchor. It seems fairly calm in here.


At the head of the dock there is a restaurant and bar. I go in, sit down and order a beer. I expect the guys will come up the dock, shortly I wait and I wait. Eventually I see Rod climb out of the boat and wonders up the dock. He moves slowly looking at all the sport fishing boats. Yes sport fishing boats. We are slowly getting away from the area where commercial fishing boats are working, now all we see is small sports fishing boats. There are a few sailboats moored here. It appears a couple of those have people on them, but a few of them look to be permanently moored here.


When Rod gets up here I find out Frank is just reading his book. Rod orders a drink. We sit and talk about my plans to anchor out. Rod is fine with that. After Rod and I finish are drink we head back down the dock to the boat and move out of the marina. We move over and anchor at the head of the bay, a very short distance from the dock.   The boat rocks and rolls a little in the swell that enters the port. The rolling of the boat isn’t that bad. We sit out in the cockpit for a while and talk. Eventually I head into my cabin about 2015.   I read my book for about 5 minutes before my eyes are tired and the words appear blurry. I put the book down and go to sleep.

Pacific Gateway Marina


  1. Aw, this was a really nice post. In thought I would like to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and not at all seem to get one thing done.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *